What to Know About Home Care
For many of our elderly parents, the time often comes when older adults realize they need a little more help in managing daily activities. These needs may be simple, and subtle. Assistance reading the prescription bottles every morning for daily medications. Or help with the laundry, which is down a steep set of cellar stairs and difficult to traverse while carrying a bucket of soiled clothes.
Home assistance might also be needed to recover from recent surgery to repair an elbow. To help with keeping appointments with the local physician. Or to help with bathing and personal care so as to avoid slips in the shower/tub.
Take the time to remind your parents that home assistance is available through professional in-home care.
And consider these benefits:
- Elder safety and security: Your parents will be safer with some mature oversight by a professional caregiver. Does your mother occasionally put flammable materials in the microwave? We have seen this start a house fire. If your father falls due to imbalance, dizziness, or a minor stroke…is your mother strong enough to help him? Professional home care will likely help you to sleep worry free.
- Providing assistance to older adults is the caregiver’s job. Having someone come to the home and help an elderly parent is a new and different concept. After all, many have lived in their own home, under their own established customs and rituals, for decades. Asking for help in areas which, until now, were simply a part of functional daily life is a new experience. Many seniors may find it hard to ask others for help. But in-home caregivers are professionals, people who are providing this vital service as a career choice. Most love what they do — working with the elderly to provide care, and maintain and improve the quality of elderly clients.
- Memory Loss Can Be Normal Aging - August 9, 2022
- How to Improve Your Memory - August 2, 2022
- Retirement, Elderly Aging, and Health - July 25, 2022
- Trends in Aging - July 19, 2022
- Signs of Hearing Loss, pt. 2 - July 12, 2022
- Aging and Hearing Loss - July 6, 2022
- HomeCare … Best Delivered at Home: part 2 - June 27, 2022
- Elders Prefer Services at Home - June 23, 2022
- Older Adults and Cancer - June 10, 2022
- Elderly, Aging, and Cancer Diagnosis - June 7, 2022
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164