Cost of Long Term Care for Seniors
Cost increases for long-term elder care have moderated in recent years… but they have started to speed up again this year.
According to industry research, the average increase for six types of care has risen 4.5% this year. The average rate of increase for 2017 is up from just 1.1% in 2016, and it’s up from a five-year average of 3% per year.
This year, charges ranged from a 3% increase for adult day care, to an increase of 6.2% for home health aide services.
The median national cost of the services of a home health aide is now approximately $22 per hour.
Long term care insurance is available to many, but it can be expensive. Fifteen years ago, issuers of long-term care insurance typically encouraged clients to buy coverage with 5% compound annual inflation protection, or at least 5% simple inflation protection. This enabled a financial hedge against rising rates and pricing. But so few seniors have purchased such insurance that many companies have stopped offering coverage in parts of the country, or completely. Additionally, low interest rates and high long-term care insurance claim rates have reduced insurers’ ability to offer policies with 5% inflation protection at an affordable price. The insurers that still offer new stand-alone long-term care insurance policies have been encouraging consumers to buy policies with 3% inflation protection.
The 4.5% increase in long-term care services costs for 2017 means that, for many long-term care insurance benefits users, increases in care costs may have outstripped growth in policy benefits for the first time in several years.
- Elder Aging & Life Long Learning - July 8, 2019
- Strength Training Safety Tips for Seniors - July 2, 2019
- Seniors, Strength Training, and Heart Health - June 25, 2019
- Tips to Combat Elder Scams - June 18, 2019
- Elders Targeted on Frauds/Scams - June 11, 2019
- Plan to Regularly See Your Doctor - May 20, 2019
- Smart Technology for Senior Safety - March 20, 2019
- Diagnosis of Dementia ? - March 11, 2019
- Aging and Socialization - March 5, 2019
- Cholesterol - May 30, 2019
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164