Treatments for Colorectal Cancer
How do doctors treat an elder for colorectal cancer?
According to the American Cancer Society, when colorectal cancer is caught early, a person has a five-year survival rate of more than 90 percent. Treatment options for colon cancer include surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatments, certain specific medications, or a combination of treatments. For example, there can be treatments to kill the identified cancer cells, and treatments to prevent growth of future cells.
The earlier colon cancer is diagnosed or caught, the better the chances for a positive outcome. Regular check-ups, and simply being aware of one’s health as one ages, will help to raise awareness among individuals and families.
Experts say the survival rate for colorectal cancer has improved due to advances in modern medicine, treatments, and health awareness. More people are getting screened, and this enables early history diagnosis. Yet embarrassment and fear keep many others from getting that all-important early testing. Even though older adults and seniors are aware of public events to direct attention to breast cancer awareness, there are other cancer killers which are rarely discussed.
Ask your over-fifty relatives if they’ve received the recommended screening for colorectal cancer. Generally, testing every 8-10 years after you’ve reached the age of 50 is a good process to follow. If you’ve been screened, serve as a role model for younger family members by telling them. When you come back to work the next day after your colonoscopy, tell people about your experience. You got tested, and you feel fine! Your experience may energize others to follow-up with their own testing.
- Families, Elders, and Senior Support Services - January 16, 2020
- Elder Technology Benefits: See Your Phone! - January 7, 2020
- Technology Can Boost Senior Health - December 30, 2019
- Sleep Quality: Benefits of a Good Night Sleep - December 24, 2019
- Alzheimer’s: Tips to Relieve Care Burden - December 16, 2019
- Alzheimer’s Disease Recognition - December 10, 2019
- Alzheimer’s, Family Members and Holiday Gifting - December 2, 2019
- Seniorities with Rep. Patrick Kearney - November 15, 2019
- Benefits to a Good Night Sleep - November 12, 2019
- Sensitive Family Planning with Elderly Parents - November 4, 2019
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164