Elder Technology Benefits: See Your Phone!
As submitted by guest blogger, Katybeth Dee, from SelfExam.org…Part Two:
Getting Smarter About Communication
A smartphone has many pros and cons, and senior health and well-being fall on both sides. While tech addiction is a concern, smartphones can boost senior health in many ways.
- Selecting providers that offer telehealth services so you can video chat with your primary care doctor or mental health professional.
- Playing critical-thinking and brain games that keep the mind focused, fresh and alert.
- Talking with friends and family members daily to help keep senior isolation at bay.
- Using social media to stay connected with long-distance friends and family (but making sure to unplug and disconnect to protect your mental health).
Monitoring Health Conditions
Technology can help you keep track of concerning mental health conditions that can impact how you feel during the day-to-day. While some devices require a prescription from a doctor, there are many you can purchase to manage your health at home.
- Digital blood pressure monitor: If you have frequent bouts of high blood pressure, using a digital cuff at home can help you track your treatment.
- Glucose meters: For seniors managing diabetes, at-home blood sugar monitors that calibrate with your smartphone device can help you prevent serious health conditions.
- Medical alert devices: Especially helpful for seniors who live alone or are managing health conditions with balance and stability, a medical alert device allows you to call for medical help even if you are unable to use a phone.
Technology can put you in charge of many healthcare needs. Since seniors are at a higher risk for health conditions — both physical and mental — it’s important to explore your options. As a senior, your healthcare is a priority. So, be open and honest with yourself to make the right choices for your overall health and well-being.
- Brain Training for Elderly - February 10, 2020
- Keeping Elders Safe in Winter - February 3, 2020
- Winter Safety Precautions for Seniors - January 28, 2020
- 2020 Changes to Social Security - January 20, 2020
- Families, Elders, and Senior Support Services - January 16, 2020
- Elder Technology Benefits: See Your Phone! - January 7, 2020
- Technology Can Boost Senior Health - December 30, 2019
- Sleep Quality: Benefits of a Good Night Sleep - December 24, 2019
- Alzheimer’s: Tips to Relieve Care Burden - December 16, 2019
- Alzheimer’s Disease Recognition - December 10, 2019
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164