How to Define Dementia?
We’ve all heard the phrase, “senior dementia”. In some cases, this serves as a catch-all for elderly parents showcasing forgetfulness and/or memory lapses. However, the underlying cause may be a specific kind of dementia, which is generally described as a group of symptoms affecting memory, thinking and social abilities. Dementia is a “catch-all” phrase. It is not a specific disease.
Any of several different diseases may cause dementia, which generally involves memory loss. However, memory loss has many different causes. Dementia can certainly effect seniors with enough severity to interfere with daily life.
In the past, once doctors ruled out any reversible causes of dementia symptoms, they’d default to a diagnosis of senile dementia. However, research now shows that accurately diagnosing the type of dementia causing an elder‘s symptoms leads to a better quality of life.
A precise diagnosis allows doctors to tailor dementia treatment and therapies to unique disease symptoms and needs. This aids in improved behaviors and symptom relief.
Current available dementia treatments can’t stop or reverse your elderly parent’s disease. Dementia symptoms are progressive, and they will worsen over time. But, there are dementia treatments which help improve quality of life, as well as slow the progression of the disease in some cases.
More to follow next week…
- VA Aid & Attendance Monetary Benefits - November 23, 2020
- Veterans and Aid & Attendance Pension Benefit, part 1 - November 17, 2020
- Mesothelioma, and Surgery for Elderly Patients - November 3, 2020
- Dementia Treatments for Seniors - October 27, 2020
- Elder Dementia Therapies - October 19, 2020
- Cost of Living Increase 2021 - October 16, 2020
- How to Define Dementia? - October 12, 2020
- Tips to Prevent Elder Memory Loss - October 7, 2020
- How to Help with Senior Bathing - September 25, 2020
- Bathing Tips for Your Elderly Parents - September 21, 2020
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164