Managing Elderly Medication Schedules
Do you know the medication schedule for your elderly parents?
For many, this can become a somewhat mind boggling task. And I’m referring to the adult children who are trying to decipher their elderly parent‘s medications! Imagine how confusing it may be for a senior to stay on schedule! There may be easily a dozen or more pills on a daily basis. In the past, I spent hours on the phone with my mother, attempting to supervise her efforts in setting up her pill box. She was unable to do so.
Change can be Rapid
Medication side effects and changes can happen weekly for elders as various tending physicians tweak their drug recommendations. Dosage strength, and chemical mix can often change as physicians attempt to assist elderly patients.
How to get a handle on this?
First, make a master list. Place all the drug containers on a table in front of you, and write down prescription name, date, and other relevant information. Create a master list of drugs, dosages, and data such as 1) time of day; 2) to be taken with/out food. You may even write a description of the pill. Is it yellow, or blue? Small, or large?
Next, post these schedules in areas of the house where Mom, Dad, and any other private duty care staff can easily find and read. Put a copy on the kitchen table, or tape it to the refrigerator. Or, tape a copy to the inside of a kitchen cabinet. Make certain you update all copies. And keep a copy for your own records.
Home Care Partners can help to provide mindful, caring staff to monitor these daily events for our aging seniors. Our homecare staff can help to manage, organize, and remind elders to maintain their proper medication schedule.
- Causes of Chronic Pain #4 - March 21, 2023
- What Makes Pain Chronic? (part 3) - March 13, 2023
- Chronic Pain, part 2 - March 6, 2023
- Chronic Pain - February 28, 2023
- Elders Preference: Stay Home. Enlist Homecare - February 20, 2023
- Elderly Prefer Living at Home - February 13, 2023
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Saves Lives - February 6, 2023
- Screenings Help Prevent Colon Cancer - January 31, 2023
- If You Suspect a Stroke - January 16, 2023
- How Women Can Reduce Stroke Risk - January 10, 2023
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164