Managing Elderly Medication Schedules
Do you know the medication schedule for your elderly parents?
For many, this can become a somewhat mind boggling task. And I’m referring to the adult children who are trying to decipher their elderly parent‘s medications! Imagine how confusing it may be for a senior to stay on schedule! There may be easily a dozen or more pills on a daily basis. In the past, I spent hours on the phone with my mother, attempting to supervise her efforts in setting up her pill box. She was unable to do so.
Change can be Rapid
Medication side effects and changes can happen weekly for elders as various tending physicians tweak their drug recommendations. Dosage strength, and chemical mix can often change as physicians attempt to assist elderly patients.
How to get a handle on this?
First, make a master list. Place all the drug containers on a table in front of you, and write down prescription name, date, and other relevant information. Create a master list of drugs, dosages, and data such as 1) time of day; 2) to be taken with/out food. You may even write a description of the pill. Is it yellow, or blue? Small, or large?
Next, post these schedules in areas of the house where Mom, Dad, and any other private duty care staff can easily find and read. Put a copy on the kitchen table, or tape it to the refrigerator. Or, tape a copy to the inside of a kitchen cabinet. Make certain you update all copies. And keep a copy for your own records.
Home Care Partners can help to provide mindful, caring staff to monitor these daily events for our aging seniors. Our homecare staff can help to manage, organize, and remind elders to maintain their proper medication schedule.
- Elderly Understand Their Limitations - January 18, 2021
- Elders and Quality of Life - January 11, 2021
- Communication Methods with Elderly - January 4, 2021
- Elderly Emotional and Physical Health - December 31, 2020
- Elders…are Experienced at Life - December 28, 2020
- Elderly Parents and Memory Loss - December 22, 2020
- Managing Elderly Medication Schedules - December 21, 2020
- Be Informed on Elderly Medications & Schedules - December 21, 2020
- How to Apply for VA Aid & Attendance? - December 8, 2020
- Aid and Attendance and VA Disability Compensation - December 1, 2020
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164