Covid-19 Vaccine and Elderly Side Effects
Important and timely re-post authored by A Place For Mom….
When it comes to side effects of the COVID-19 vaccines in the elderly, the news is good: Preliminary clinical data for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine showed the majority of side effects were mild or moderate, and less common in adults over 55. Additionally, safety studies for both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines included thousands of adults older than 65, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports no serious safety concerns were noted. That’s why many scientific experts agree that the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the risks.
Below find some of the most common questions/answers about COVID-19 vaccine side effects in the elderly.
–Vaccine side effects: What’s normal and what’s not?
According to the CDC, the side effects of the COVID-19 vaccines are similar to those of other vaccines, like the flu shot. Most are mild to moderate and occur within the first three days of vaccination. Pain or soreness at the injection site is the most common side effect. Other normal potential side effects include fatigue, headache, muscle aches, chills, joint pain, and fever.
–Serious side effects of the COVID-19 vaccines are rare. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that the rate of serious complications for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines is .05% and 1%, respectively.
–However, some people have reported severe allergic reactions — or anaphylaxis — after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. Anaphylaxis is an abnormal response by your immune system that causes your body to go into shock.
Symptoms of anaphylaxis may include:
– Generalized hives, itching, or swelling of the face, lips, and/or throat
– Cardiovascular distress, including fast heartbeat, low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting
– Respiratory issues like coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath
– Gastrointestinal problems like vomiting, diarrhea, or nausea
Make sure you and your elderly parents are aware of any adverse reactions to previous vaccines. Older adults who have experienced serious allergic reactions to medical treatments in the past may not be able to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Defining Heatstroke, pt 2 - July 19, 2021
- Summer and Elderly Heat Stroke - July 12, 2021
- Suspecting Elder Abuse - July 5, 2021
- Elder Abuse Awareness - July 1, 2021
- Elder Abuse, pt. 2 - June 21, 2021
- June: Elder Abuse Awareness, pt. 1 - June 16, 2021
- Elder Lifestyle Realities with Heart Failure - June 7, 2021
- Treating Heart Failure - May 31, 2021
- Mobile Doctors with House Call Services - May 24, 2021
- Signs of Heart Failure - May 18, 2021
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164