Elder Abuse Awareness
With elderly in decline, or living alone, it is important that family stay in close communication. Visit as often as possible. This also includes video visits and/or phone calls. Make these contacts frequently. Know and understand the warning signs. Encourage your elderly parents to be open about things that concern them.
Unfortunately, a family member is sometimes responsible for elder abuse. I have certainly witnessed relationships where the adult children were abusing their elderly mother/father. Keep other family members involved with care planning. You want to learn all about people caring for your elderly parents.
Sometimes a person with ill intentions can masquerade as a “loving friend” or a competent professional. I have seen “professionals” take advantage of trusting elders.
In-home care services can help! Caregivers will assist clients with personal care, healthcare management, transportation and companionship. They provide watchful supervision for frail seniors and those with dementia. They lessen the workload for family caregivers, and liaison with family who live at a distance. It’s very important to hire through an agency that screens and trains their caregivers. This provides peace of mind for family and ensures the well-being of their loved one.
- Flu Season: It’s Coming… - September 18, 2023
- Trends in Health Care - September 11, 2023
- Importance of Prostate Screening for Men - September 5, 2023
- Prostate Cancer: Number 1 for Men - August 29, 2023
- Elder Risks of Heat Stroke - August 24, 2023
- Medical Emergency: Heat Stroke - August 15, 2023
- Senior Hydration, Nutrition, part 5 - August 9, 2023
- Senior Hydration, Nutrition: part 4 - August 1, 2023
- Senior Hydration: Tips for Elderly, part 3 - July 25, 2023
- Nutrition and Hydration, part 2 - July 17, 2023
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164
Email: [email protected]