Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes is an insidious disease that preys on older people, including our elderly parents. Type 2 diabetes, once known as “adult onset diabetes,” affects 90 – 95 percent of the more than 20 million Americans affected with diabetes. My father at age 78, for example, was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. While an estimated 14.6 million Americans have been diagnosed with Type 2, 6.2 million remain unaware they have the disease – while another 40 million have pre-diabetes (which can become diabetes). It is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.
Observe and learn about yourself and your body. Seniors with symptoms of excessive thirst, and frequent urinations, are showcasing signs of diabetes. Learn all you can about the disease so that you can recognize warning signs that your blood sugar levels are out of balance. Diet and exercise are extremely important in maintaining the body’s metabolism. With Type 2 diabetes, the body either does not produce the needed amounts of insulin, or what has been produced is not being processed properly.
Signs of high blood sugar may be also characterized by tingling sensation in hands and feet, a frequent need to urinate, nausea, extreme thirst or hunger, and blurred vision. This may be caused by overeating, being under stress, or having too little insulin in the body. Signs of low-blood sugar can include shaking, sweating, rapid heartbeat, anxiety, dizziness, hunger, weakness, irritability, and fatigue. The body is in a weakened state. Causes are usually due to lack of food intake, or excessive exercise which has stretched the body’s reserves.
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Saves Lives - February 6, 2023
- Screenings Help Prevent Colon Cancer - January 31, 2023
- If You Suspect a Stroke - January 16, 2023
- How Women Can Reduce Stroke Risk - January 10, 2023
- Stroke Risk for Woman - January 4, 2023
- Strokes: and Symptoms - December 27, 2022
- Care Staff Assists Elderly Management of Diabetes - December 19, 2022
- Elderly Protection with Flu Shot - December 12, 2022
- Combining Senior Flu Shot and Covid Booster - December 7, 2022
- Senior Flu Shots - November 29, 2022
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164