Testing for Pain, part 8
Continuing our blog series on “Pain”. Submitted by guest author, Kevin Samuels, Outreach Coordinator, Flowers Health: https://jflowershealth.com/
Imaging: Imaging tests provide detailed pictures of internal organs and activities inside the body. A doctor can use these tests to:
* Identify fractures or inflammatory changes in the bone
* Obtain details of a bone and surrounding structures
* Tell the difference between cancerous growths, infections, or fractures
* Identify nerve damage
X-Rays: Frequently used to diagnose fractures. A specific form of x-ray imaging, the arthrogram, may be used to check painful joint disorders.
MRI: An MRI scan uses a strong magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of internal organs. MRI helps diagnose the following conditions.
* Chronic low back pain
* Chronic migraine
* Chronic pelvic pain
* Peripheral neuropathy (damage to nerves that lie outside the brain and spinal cord)
Electromyography: (EMG) An EMG helps diagnose disorders of muscles and nerves. It records electrical activity in the muscles. Thus it helps find out how electrical signals pass from nerves to muscles. A patient may need an EMG if they have numbness, muscle weakness, tics, or muscle pain.
Electromyography may be used to identify some conditions that can cause chronic pain, such as:
* Carpal tunnel syndrome
* Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
* Radiculopathy (pinched nerves in the spine)
* Muscular dystrophy (a genetic disorder that causes a gradual loss of muscle mass)
Nerve Conduction Study: (NCS) A nerve conduction study measures the speed with which electrical signals pass through a nerve. NCS is a valuable tool to identify:
* Carpal tunnel syndrome
* Herniated disk disease, which causes low back pain
* Abnormalities in the sciatic nerve
To confirm a diagnosis, a doctor may order both EMG and NCS at the same time.
- Proper Testing for Chronic Pain #12 - May 22, 2023
- A Mix of Pain Treatments, part # 11 - May 15, 2023
- Alternative Pain Management, Part #10 - May 8, 2023
- How to Manage Pain #9 - May 1, 2023
- Testing for Pain, part 8 - April 24, 2023
- How to Diagnose Pain, part 7 - April 18, 2023
- Seniors and Chronic Pain, #6 - April 13, 2023
- Conditions of Chronic Pain, part 5 - March 27, 2023
- Causes of Chronic Pain #4 - March 21, 2023
- What Makes Pain Chronic? (part 3) - March 13, 2023
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164
Email: [email protected]