Medicare Part B Coverage
Medicare is currently defined under two classifications, Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.
Medicare Part B coverage is loosely defined as “medical insurance”. Medicare Part B covers eligible home health services such as intermittent skilled nursing care, physical therapy, speech-language pathology services, continued occupational services, and more. It provides elders coverage for certain doctors’ services, outpatient care, medical supplies, and preventive services.
Medicare also covers two very broad categories. Under it’s umbrella are certain “services” such as lab testing, surgeries, and doctor visits. And “supplies” which are considered medically necessary to treat a disease or condition, such as wheelchairs and walkers. (If you’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan or other Medicare plan, you may have different rules, but your plan must give you at least the same coverage as Original Medicare.) Some services may only be covered in certain settings or for patients with certain conditions.
Medicare does not pay for home custodial care.
How do you determine whether Medicare covers what you need? Talk to your doctor or other health care provider about why you need certain services or supplies, and ask if Medicare will cover them. If you need something that’s usually covered and your provider thinks that Medicare won’t cover it in your situation, you’ll have to read and sign a notice saying that you may have to pay for the item, service, or supply.
- Flu Season: It’s Coming… - September 18, 2023
- Trends in Health Care - September 11, 2023
- Importance of Prostate Screening for Men - September 5, 2023
- Prostate Cancer: Number 1 for Men - August 29, 2023
- Elder Risks of Heat Stroke - August 24, 2023
- Medical Emergency: Heat Stroke - August 15, 2023
- Senior Hydration, Nutrition, part 5 - August 9, 2023
- Senior Hydration, Nutrition: part 4 - August 1, 2023
- Senior Hydration: Tips for Elderly, part 3 - July 25, 2023
- Nutrition and Hydration, part 2 - July 17, 2023
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164
Email: [email protected]