Prostate Cancer: Number 1 for Men
Prostate cancer is the number one form of cancer among men in the U.S., with approximately 290,000 new cases diagnosed every year. An estimated 13 percent of all men will be diagnosed with the disease. And, it will affect one in six men (compared to one in eight women diagnosed with breast cancer) at some time in their life.
Many men with prostate cancer are most concerned about the possible effects of prostate cancer treatment – surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, hormone treatment, or some combination – which can result in impotence and/or incontinence. Certainly, an elderly parent at an advanced age may be disadvantaged due to the treatment regimen.
As with most cancers, the earlier diagnosed the better. According to the American Urological Association, the survival rate is nearly 100 percent when prostate cancer is detected at an early stage when the tumor is still localized and has not spread.
A diet that is high in fat, meat and sugar and low in fruits, vegetables and fiber is considered a factor contributing to the disease. Studies have shown a strong relationship between consumption of saturated fat or dairy fat and prostate cancer, while polyunsaturated fats like Omega-3 fatty acids may help prevent the disease.
Prostate cancer may cause no signs or symptoms in its early stages. However, prostate cancer that’s more advanced may cause signs and symptoms such as:
— Trouble urinating
— Decreased force in the stream of urine
— Blood in the urine
— Blood in the semen
— Bone pain
— Losing weight without trying
— Erectile dysfunction
- Flu Season: It’s Coming… - September 18, 2023
- Trends in Health Care - September 11, 2023
- Importance of Prostate Screening for Men - September 5, 2023
- Prostate Cancer: Number 1 for Men - August 29, 2023
- Elder Risks of Heat Stroke - August 24, 2023
- Medical Emergency: Heat Stroke - August 15, 2023
- Senior Hydration, Nutrition, part 5 - August 9, 2023
- Senior Hydration, Nutrition: part 4 - August 1, 2023
- Senior Hydration: Tips for Elderly, part 3 - July 25, 2023
- Nutrition and Hydration, part 2 - July 17, 2023
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164
Email: [email protected]