Professional Elder Care Supports Family Resources
Professional Care Can Relieve Family Burnout
Taking on the care and support for elderly parents can be stressful, overwhelming, and costly. All seniors have different emotional and physical needs, so there is no “one solution” that will permanently fit. Some elderly parents only want care from their adult children. And yet they may abuse family caregivers by being demanding and over bearing.
I recently met with a local senior and her adult daughter. The latter was trying to develop a care plan and utilize homecare resources so as to be ready when needed. The elderly mother was disruptive, stubborn, rude, and extremely condescending to her daughter while we met. Furthermore, the elder was continuing to demand assistance and attention only from her daughter.
On the other side of the equation, family members may not have the time, patience, resources or knowledge to deal with their aging parents or nearby relatives. There exist lifelong, emotional, inter-personal relationships that may be barriers to caregiving. Not to mention the factor of distance. The family may also be geographically dispersed and unable to easily provide assistance.
Many times I am asked by a perspective client, “does your agency have a minimum number of hours for work?” At Home Care Partners, we do not. Our objective is to provide beneficial assistance and service to our clients. We work on an agreed upon schedule with our clients.
Getting to know the senior can take some time for the homecare staff. And, it may take time for the elder to warm up to a new caregiver. But the benefits of a professional caregiver — to both the senior and the family on multiple levels — will be significant for all involved parties.
- Educate Guests on Hearing Loss Etiquette - December 8, 2023
- Elderly and Mental Illness, pt 2 - November 6, 2023
- Mistake to Dismiss Elder Mental Illness - October 30, 2023
- Get Your Flu Shot - October 23, 2023
- 2024 Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) - October 16, 2023
- Professional Elder Care Supports Family Resources - October 9, 2023
- Addressing Elderly Deafness, pt. 2 - October 2, 2023
- Elderly Deafness, pt. 1 - September 29, 2023
- Flu Season: It’s Coming… - September 18, 2023
- Trends in Health Care - September 11, 2023
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164
Email: [email protected]