Vaccines and Seniors
One of the greatest scientific innovations for the human race is the invention of vaccinations. Vaccines have essentially eradicated deadly diseases such as smallpox and polio (almost), each of which had devastating effects worldwide at one time.
The importance of vaccines, especially for seniors, cannot be overstated. Vaccines help those with weakened immune systems and chronic health conditions to protect aging adults against infections and diseases. Many people think vaccines are only for children, but they can be life-saving for seniors and people of every age.
While vaccines are necessary, they also can come at a big expense. Luckily, Medicare Part B covers the flu, pneumococcal and hepatitis B vaccines. Medicare Part B will also cover a tetanus shot after an injury; however, it does not cover the shingles vaccine.
Medicare Part D plans, on the other hand, provide more extensive coverage for vaccines. Depending on the type of Medicare Part D plan you have, you may still incur some out-of-pocket expenses for the vaccines you need. Be sure to review your plan beforehand to make sure you won’t have any surprise expenses after you get inoculated.
- What Medicare Won’t Cover - December 10, 2018
- Medicare Enrollment – What to Think About - December 3, 2018
- Seniorities with Bob Jackman as Guest - November 28, 2018
- Social Security and Women - November 15, 2018
- Seniorities and Etrusco Associates – medical equipment exchange - November 12, 2018
- Seniors Can Prepare to Age at Home - November 6, 2018
- Fraud Advisory Issued from Social Security - November 1, 2018
- Seniorities: Review of Senior Center Project and “Age-Friendly” Certification - October 29, 2018
- Social Security and Medicare - October 22, 2018
- Cost of Living Benefits to Increase in 2019 - October 15, 2018
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164