Aid and Attendance and VA Disability Compensation
For eligible veterans who have been disabled while in service, there are levels of monthly financial compensation potentially available. See VA Disability Compensation.
Similarly, the Aid & Attendance pension may also provide some additional financial assistance to those deemed eligible. And, one significant difference is that surviving spouses may also be eligible for some financial help. But please remember, disability compensation and pension benefit programs are mutually exclusive. It is highly unlikely to collect from both sources. One benefit program will offset the other.
Veterans may receive disability compensation for their service-time injuries. But these tax-free wages will be reduced if there is an accepted determination of VA Aid and Attendance pension eligibility. In short, a calculation of a veteran or surviving spouse’s Aid and Attendance benefit will subtract or reduce any monthly disability pay.
This same explanation applies to Aid and Attendance pension combined with Medicaid benefits. An eligible veteran cannot collect both simultaneously. The government says choose one, or the other. If a veteran or surviving spouse qualifies for Medicaid to pay for nursing home care, this would limit their Aid and Attendance amount to $90 per month.
- Type 2 Diabetes - September 23, 2022
- Elders Prefer Home - September 19, 2022
- Elderly Assistance at Home - September 16, 2022
- Sleep Problems: Elderly, Family, and Caregiver - September 6, 2022
- Sleep Disturbances: Causes and Tips - August 29, 2022
- Sleep Helps Brain Health - August 22, 2022
- Memory Loss Can Be Normal Aging - August 9, 2022
- How to Improve Your Memory - August 2, 2022
- Retirement, Elderly Aging, and Health - July 25, 2022
- Trends in Aging - July 19, 2022
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164