Find Exercise That Is Enjoyable
It is a fact…seniors who exercise maintain better health.
Exercise for seniors has multiple benefits, including fun, better fitness and health, and socialization. Getting started, or urging your elderly parents to commit, may be the most difficult hurdle to pass.
Each individual will have to make careful choices on how, where, and what kind of exercise routine makes the most sense. Start slowly and build. Don’t plan to participate in a full workout regimen on day one. Allow your body, and your muscles, to stretch. There will undoubtedly be some minor aches and pains. Let these muscles heal before increasing exercise activity. If something hurts, take a break.
To stay healthy and active, elders should include activities that enhance strength, endurance, balance and flexibility. Most of all, seek out activities you enjoy so you won’t view exercising as a chore. Seniors are more likely to make a commitment to good fitness if they like what they’re doing. Perhaps add a social component, and combine exercise/fitness routine with others you enjoy being with. Clients with Home Care Partners have enjoyed our care staff participation in games of tennis; working in the garden; taking walks; leg lifts and arm exercises with 5 pound weights.
Make sure you wear loose fitting clothes, keep yourself hydrated and wear comfortable sneakers. If you experience any of the following symptoms, please check immediately with your physician: chest pain or pressure, nausea, persistent sharp pain, excessive shortness of breath, or problems with your balance.
- Tips for Homebound Elderly - May 3, 2021
- “Poly-Pharmacy” in Elders - April 27, 2021
- Caring for Elders – and Keeping Your Batteries Charged - April 14, 2021
- Caregivers Need to Re-Charge - April 6, 2021
- Care at Home Can Combat Isolation and Depression - March 30, 2021
- Elders and Social Support - March 23, 2021
- How to Assist Elders at Home? - March 15, 2021
- Call On Local Home Care Resources - March 8, 2021
- Elder Exercise Can Encompass All Muscle Groups - March 1, 2021
- Find Exercise That Is Enjoyable - February 22, 2021
John D. Miller is the founder/owner of Home Care Partners, LLC, a Massachusetts business providing private duty, personalized in-home assistance and companion care services to those needing help in daily activities and household functions.
Phone: (781) 378-2164